Wednesday 22 August 2012

Where did the month go?

I know I haven't posted in a while. Perhaps it's because I haven't been doing much interesting, perhaps it's because I'm not the biggest fan of writing, or perhaps it's just plain laziness. My guess would be a little of each. Let me sum up the last month for you:
The last post had my parents still here and we were in the Bay of Islands. We had a great time and they left a day or two after my last update. I had to drop them off at the airport a few hours early in order to have a slightly easier drive. There was torrential downpours which led to flooding and road closures. I made it home on an alternate route and in only 1 1/2 hours more than it usually takes.
Kaleb had been working for the avocado industry for a few weeks now and is enjoying it. He has solved many of their data issues in short order and is impressing them thoroughly. I tell him he needs to be careful, or they won't let him come back to the states. Working remotely for them, however, could work.
It has rained nearly every day for the last month and a half. Our apartment building has flooded a few times, but luckily we're on the second floor, so none of our stuff has been damaged. However, the rain gave me a perfect opportunity to do a mud run. The girls and I had a lot of fun, but will probably not be doing one again. It was cold, and, judging from the horses and cows nearby, some of the "mud" was not just wet dirt. It felt good to shower after that.
For the past 2 weeks, I've been selling off my toys I've accumulated during my time here. Mainly my surfboard and bike. I was able to sell them for the same price I paid, so it was like renting them for free. Kaleb will be staying until mid January, so had to find a few flatmates to live with. He found a posh place 2 blocks from our apartment with 3 flatmates, all of who are very athletic. With Kaleb moved into his new place and me all packed up, it's time to start my way home (by way of Australia and the South Island).

I'm now in Cairns by myself. Kaleb's friend Skog is flying in tomorrow. I will be meeting them in Sydney in a little over a week. We will then head to Queenstown for some mountain fun before I leave for the states.

No comments:

Post a Comment