Thursday 5 July 2012

Redwoods bowling and work

I know it's been a while since I last posted, but not that much has been going on. It's the school holidays now, so our quiet little town has been overrun by holiday makers. Part of living in such a nice place that makes tourism it's business is you have to deal with tourists. Sounds funny coming from the foreigner. I'd just be happy if they could walk down the street while simultaneously looking where they're going. Not going to happen.
Last weekend I went hiking with a couple of friends in the Redwoods (slightly smaller than the CA redwoods, but still big) near Rotorua, about an hour from my house. It's a great area, except for the spots where they're clear-cutting. There are great hiking and mountain biking trails and some geothermal activity. Kaleb went mountain biking there yesterday.
Last weekend we also went ten pin bowling. You have to put the ten pin in there or people will assume lawn bowling in Brit's style. We went with a great group of ex-pats, mostly from UK and South Africa. I was not in great form as I was using a 10 pound ball with so many divots, it probably only weighed 9 pounds. Still, since bowling is not that popular here, Kaleb and I were better than average.
Also in the news, Kaleb got a proper contract working as a data analyst for the Avocado Industry Council. This means he will be living here until January. I will still be returning to the states in September as we are doing a system conversion at work and there's only so long you can ask your best friend to mind your house.

My parents are coming to visit Monday and will be here for a little over 2 weeks. We plan on heading to the South Island first. There's a chocolate festival in Dunedin that we must attend. Because of the ridiculously hot weather back in the states, they're looking forward to being in winter for a while.

No comments:

Post a Comment