Friday 13 April 2012

The first few days

Kaleb arrived in Auckland Saturday (NZ time) and I arrived on Tuesday. Angi dropped me off at MSP and 38 hours later I arrived at the hostel in downtown Auckland to meet up with Kaleb. Bonus points awarded on the trip for fairly empty aircrafts (it was Easter Sunday) and a shower in the Tahiti airport.
Points subtracted for spending 12 hours in LAX, which is under construction, so there is nothing to do.
I picked up the driving on the other side of the road very quickly, having practised this in South Africa in 2010. My one problem is using the windshield wipers rather than the blinker.
We started off my time in Auckland by going out to eat Afghani pizza. We travelled half way around the world to eat the same tasty food that is 5 blocks from our house at Crescent Moon Bakery. For dessert, my favourite treat in the world, Movenpick ice cream. The Swiss's finest ice cream that I have been missing for 11 years. I managed to actually stay awake until 9 pm.
Wednesday we drove to Tauranga and our bach (pronounced batch, not like the musician) which is a studio apartment in a suburb. See the post from Kaleb.

We've spent the rest of the time exploring the city and looking for a flat to rent. We're hoping to find something in Mount Maunganui area as it has a great beach town atmosphere. We have some good prospects but will be looking at a few more places over the next couple of days.
Today I ate Swiss food, while Kaleb ate sushi. I love living in places with international restaurants.

No comments:

Post a Comment